Thursday, May 16, 2013

Buko Pandan Salad

Buko Pandan Salad is a popular dessert in the Philippines. It is very delicious and refreshing and very simple to make. You can find them in different versions. So, here is my version. I hope you'll like it.

Prepare the Agar Agar (Gulaman) or Gelatin.  You can also use unflavored gelatin, just follow the instructions on the package. Then add a teaspoon of Pandan Flavoring or Pandan leaves.
I'm using the gulaman bars. Ratio for making gulaman bars is 1:4 (for every 1 bar, use 4 cups of liquid) but my recipe for 2 bars calls for 7-1/2 liquid only because I like my gulaman firmer. Most recipes use plain water but I like more coconut flavor so, I'm substituting coconut water instead. Believe me, it makes a lot of difference in taste.




Ingredients for Buko Pandan Salad:





Ingredients for making Gulaman:

2 gulaman bars (break into small pieces)
7-1/2 cups coconut water
sugar to taste (optional)  


Preparation:

Over medium-high heat, bring the coconut water and 1 tsp of pandan flavor to a boil.  Add gulaman pieces, stir until gulaman is fully dissolved. Reduce heat, then simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and pour into a baking pan. Set aside for 1 hour to cool. Refrigerate until ready to use. 





Once the Gulaman is firm and cooled, Cut up gulaman into cubes and set aside.
Drain the Jackfruit, young coconut and coconut jelly (Nata de Coco). Add the gulaman to the rest of the ingredients. 



In another container, pour the condensed milk, coconut milk and cream cheese. Make sure to whisk it well or use a hand mixer for a smooth texture. Unless you are like me, I like the bits of cheese in my salad. Taste as you go along. I don't measure to the T. I rely on my tastebuds when I cook. 


Then pour the mixture into the bowl, mix together. I also add a pinch of salt at
the very end. :-)  Allow to chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator. Serve and Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment